When purchasing CLC software, e.q. CLC Workbenches, commercial plugins to be installed on a Workbench, or CLC Assembly Cell, two types of licenses, static licenses and network licenses, are available.
CLC Server analysis products use static licenses for single servers, for master server + CLC job nodes and for the master server in a grid node setup. Grid workers are licensed using network licenses.
The two license types are explained with reference to CLC Workbenches on our website at:
Key points about these license types are also found below.
- These are held on the same machine as the software is running on, generally within the installation area of the software.
- A tool specific to the software you are licensing, e.g. the CLC Genomics Workbench , is used to download a license file.
- A single static license provides a license for a particular machine, allowing the licensed software, e.g. a CLC Workbench, to run on that machine. Users sharing a static license would need to work on the same machine.
Limitations: Static licenses for CLC Workbenches and the CLC Assembly Cell can be used on machines with 64 or less cores. For use on machines with >64 cores, you will need a network license.
- Network licenses are served using the CLC Network License Manager/CLC License Server software, (not the analysis software).
- Analysis software, for example, a CLC Workbench, is then configured to contact the CLC Network License Manager/CLC License Server at start up to request one of the network licenses.
- A download tool specific to the CLC Network License Manager/CLC License Server software is used to download a license file.
- A single network license can be used by one user at a time, but can be used on any machine that can contact the CLC Network License Manager/CLC License Server. Two network licenses would allow the analysis software to be run on two machines simultaneously. Users sharing a network license can work on different machines, with the maximum number of simultaneous users being the number of network licenses held for a given product.